Eligibility for Membership
Membership is by invitation only and requires (a) sponsorship of two currently active KAWE members in good standing and (b) board approval. A prospective member would fall into one of three categories:
- She practices or is licensed or certified to practice a profession, or whose occupation includes executive or managerial responsibilities.
- She may not yet be in a professional or executive position but is identified as a future professional or executive.
- She served in a professional or executive capacity before she applied; is actively involved in the community; and is willing to fully participate in the organization and serve as a mentor to other members.
The typical application process includes the following steps:
- An active KAWE member (sponsor) invites a prospective member to attend a luncheon or social, someone who would meet the membership criteria above and, after learning more about KAWE, states her interest in joining. These occasions offer the sponsor an opportunity to introduce the prospective member to the organization. Prospective members may attend a maximum of three luncheons at the invitation of their sponsoring member before they apply for membership. The lunch expense for the guest’s first visit is funded by KAWE; payment for subsequent lunches is the responsibility of the sponsoring member or the guest.
- A second sponsor steps up, either by invitation or because she also knows the prospective member.
- The prospective member completes the application form, which then goes to the board for approval, and submits a portrait photo with the application.
- KAWE membership dues are $350 billed annually in January. Dues include 11 luncheons and KAWE’s annual holiday celebration. A portion of member dues helps fund charitable contributions to the Lucy Gibson Notable Woman Award recipients, Marcia Katz scholarship recipients, and other KAWE operating and social expenses.
- Members accepted throughout the year are assessed dues on a prorated basis beginning with the first month of membership.
- Dues are non-refundable.